COVID – An opportunity to redefine your business perspective.
The immediate COVID shutdown and the economic downturn has had enormous bearings on businesses of all shapes and sizes.
Whilst Design is not an industry many would think to be substantially impacted, it has taken a significant hit with clients in industries directly affected, projects placed on hold, and offshore manufacturing and supply chains instantly stopped or delayed.
But should we see all of these as negatives and restrictions on our trade? Is there a way to transform this situation into something more exciting and positive?
As business owners, it is critical to identify opportunities in a crisis and invest where possible to emerge a stronger, more resilient and more profitable long-term organisation.
COVID – a pivot in the design brief
If nothing else positive comes from COVID, it has certainly presented us with a rare opportunity to reshape our business perspective and pivot our business models to adapt to the economic downturn and the change in the way we work – creatively and collaboratively.
I consider my industrial design consultancy to be a design project in itself. I have a brief, an objective and a myriad of ways I could hope to achieve the desired outcome to deliver above and beyond the brief with layers of design detail and innovation.
Despite the financial impacts from lost contracts and downturn in revenue and the significant cultural challenges we have faced as a team, I am looking for the positives, and I have found the most significant opportunity to implement positive change.
COVID has provided me with space and opportunity to rethink my businesses trajectory and to reinvigorate.
To optimise staff performance, improve productivity and engagement long term, and ultimately deliver a better design experience for staff and clients alike.
Turning the final design into a stunning, functional and robust business
Ever-changing digital technology has provided the opportunity to innovate and learn quicker than ever before.
- We are continually innovating and adapting – looking at materials and manufacturing techniques within our shores to deliver design outcomes on time where we would once have looked offshore.
- We have acquired unexpected access to our target audience, Architects, through the adaption of Zoom presentations we have engaged with 150% more than the same period pre-COVID – introducing ourselves to over 200 potential new clients.
- We have launched our rebrand and highlighted it as an opportunity to celebrate the small wins in tough times, with the positive news widely accepted by our clients and partners.
- Our team have had the opportunity to upskill through online learning and connect digitally to industry events.
- Meetings are far more accessible and efficient – connecting interstate and globally has never been easier and cost-effective.
- In difficult times brand reinforcement is critical. (Some of the most successful businesses started in a crisis.) Connecting with clients and investing in marketing at a time when others may hold back offers opportunities.
Some of our latest projects >
To read more News & Media stories from Tilt use the links below.